Monday, May 31, 2010

Lentils-the superfood!



Lentils- the Superfood


Lentils are a greatly under-consumed and valued food at least in my diet and those of my friends. After reading in a health magazine that lentils are a great tummy flattening food I decided to do some research, and this is what I found:

Lentils
-easy to prepare and cheap
-good source of cholesterol lowering fiber
-Low in calories but really fill you up ( 230 calories, .4 grams of fat and 0 cholesterol for a cup of cooked lentils)
-lots of protein!
-greatly reduces risk of heart disease
-good source of calcium, vitamin B and Iron

Basically a super food. Since I did my research I have been trying to incorporate lentils into my daily diet, and it is really easy to do so. You can simply cook lentils themselves and eat them as a soup, throw them into a salad or eat them as a side dish. Usually I feel like I need meat in my meal to feel fully satisfied, but when I eat lentils I get them same feeling of fullness.

Give it a try and let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment